Materials and Handouts
Why We Do What We Do: Regulatory Theory and Practice
Equality, Diversity and inclusion – Are Regulators Part of the Problem or Part of the Solution?
- 30th Anniversary of the RCIADIC and the ‘white noise’ of the justice system is loud and clear
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: https://nctr.ca/
- Equity Lens Toolkit: https://nsbs.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Equity-Lens-Toolkit.pdf
- Guidelines for Lawyers: Supporting Trans and Gender Variant clients, colleagues and employees:https://nsbs.org/wpcontent/uploads/2019/12/Guidelines_GenderVariantInclusion.pdf
- Other NSBS Equity and Access resources: https://nsbs.org/about/equity-access/
- SRA | Upholding Professional Standards – Diversity Monitoring, Supporting Report 2019/20 | Solicitors Regulation Authority
- SRA | How diverse is the legal profession? | Solicitors Regulation Authority
- Recommendation of the Alternatives to the Exam Task Force to the Oregon Supreme Court
- Deborah Jones Merritt & Logan Cornett, Building A Better Bar: The Twelve Building Blocks of Minimum Competence
- AccessLex Institute, Analyzing First-Time Bar Exam Passage on the UBE in New York State
- Scott Baker, The Paradoxes of Desegregation: Race, Class, and Education 1935-1975
- George B. Shepherd, No African-American Lawyers Allowed: The Inefficient Racism of the ABA’s Accreditation of Law Schools
- Mark Raymond, April Southwick, & Mengyao Zhang, The Bar Examiner, The Testing Column: Ensuring Fairness in Assessment
- ABA Legal Profession Statistics
- ABA Legal Education Statistics
Networking – International Cocktails with Legal Regulators
Who Owns the Pathway? Broadening Access to the Legal Profession
Interview With the Regulators: Who Do We Regulate and Why?
- History of the Law Society of Ireland
- Annual report 2019/2020
- Guide to professional conduct
- Charter of core principles of the European legal profession & code of conduct for European lawyers
- Complaints against solicitors hit historic low
- LSRA is the new regulator for legal profession advertising
- Slow train coming – Irish law firms can register as LLPs
- New legal costs regime
- New complaints regime under LSRA
- Brexit and practising certificates
- weblink to the Netherlands Bar: The Netherlands Bar | Nederlandse orde van advocaten
Legal Education in a Post Covid World- Shaking the Assumptions but Now What?
Can We Still Do This? Exploring Lifelong Competency in Legal Practice
Virtual Cooking Demonstration – Celebrity Chef Jet Tila
Rise of the Machines
AI in the Access to Justice Toolkit
- Reimagining Justice: A Manifesto to Transform Access to Civil Legal Services, Perry-Petersen
- Check out Andrea Perry-Peterson’s Reimagining Justice podcast for more interviews and discussion of legal innovation, including key episodes on AI, machine learning, sustainable technology and regulation.
Regulating AI in the Legal Marketplace: Where to Draw the Line?
The Role of Regulators in Promoting Fairer Legal Services: Responding to Issues of Vulnerability and Legal Capability
Margaret Hagan, Legal Design Lab
Field Guides for Justice By Design, Legal Design Lab
A Human-Centered Design Approach to Access to Justice: Generating New Prototypes and Hypotheses for Intervention to Make Courts User-Friendly
Applying Design Approaches to Policy Making: Discovering Policy Lab
Legal Design as a Thing: A Theory of Change and a Set of Methods to Craft a Human-Centered Legal System
Nigel Balmer, Victoria Law Foundation
Pleasence, P., and Balmer, N.J. (2019) Justice and the capability to function in society. Daedalus, 148(1), 140-149.
Balmer, N.J., Pleasence, P., Hagland, T., & McRae, C. (2019) Law…What is it Good For? How People see the Law, Lawyers and Courts in Australia. Melbourne: Victoria Law Foundation.
OECD/Open Society Foundations (2019), Legal Needs Surveys and Access to Justice, OECD Publishing, Paris.
Hugh McDonald, Assessing Access to Justice: How Much “Legal” Do People Need and How Can We Know?, 11 U.C. IRVINE L. REV. 693 (2021).
Martin Coppack, Fair By Design
Inclusive Design in Essential Services includes the production of two guides on how regulators and firms can embed inclusive design in policy development and product design, for better outcomes for consumers https://fairbydesign.com/inclusive-design/
How Do We Investigate and Enforce?
- A link to our conduct and client care rules (these include the specific definitions discussed):https://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2008/0214/latest/DLM1437806.html?search=qs_act%40bill%40regulation%40deemedreg_lawyers+and+conveyancers_resel_25_h&p=1&sr=1
Revealing Chicago: A Virtual Glimpse at Chicago History & Architecture
The Role of the Regulator in Market Transparency and Comparison Services
Who Is Training the Community Based Lawyer of the Future?
Legal Australia-Wide Survey Legal need in Australia (lawfoundation.net.au)
Japan Federation of Bar Associations
日本弁護士連合会：Elimination of Shortages/Uneven Distribution of Attorneys (nichibenren.or.jp)
日本弁護士連合会：Legal Aid/Assistance Projects (nichibenren.or.jp)
Tokyo Bar Association
Support for Public Law Offices｜Public Service｜English | Tokyo Bar Association (toben.or.jp)
Legal advice, Attorney Referrals, and Dispute Resolution｜Public Service｜English | Tokyo Bar Association (toben.or.jp)